Hunting Permits

The Northern Territory currently has two types of hunting permits. A permit to hunt feral pigs and a permit to hunt waterfowl.

Feral Pigs

Permits to hunt pigs are issued for a period of one year from 1 August 2013 to 31 July 2014 or for a five year permit from the date of issue. The permit is issued to allow hunting of pigs within the NT hunting reserves of Shoal Bay and Harrison Dam. An application fee of $10 is required for a one year permit or $40 for a five year permit.

The hunting reserves on which you can hunt feral pigs are identified on a map (pdf 5.2Mb) that is provided when you obtain your permit.

Shooters Permits for Designated Crown Land

Shooters Permits to allow members of the public to go recreational shooting and hunting on certain areas of Crown land can also be obtained from the Department of Planning and Infrastructure (DPI) who can be contacted by phone on (+61 8) 8999 6886.  Further details available on DPI website.


The 2013 season will commence 6.15am on Wednesday 18 September and will have staggered closures. Lambells Lagoon Conservation Reserve and Howard Springs Hunting Reserve will close at 7.30pm on Monday 23 December and will close at the two other hunting reserves, private property and crown land at 7.45pm on Sunday 5 January 2014.

Waterfowl hunting in the Northern Territory is seasonal and is declared by a notice each year in the Government Gazette. A Waterfowl Hunting permit attracts a fee of $20. A hunting permit will not be issued without the provision of a current shooter’s licence.

Within hunting reserves shooting is restricted to shotgun and bows only. Rifles and pistols are not permitted.

The hunting reserves on which you can hunt waterfowl are identified on a map (pdf 600Kb) that is provided when you obtain your permit.

A maximum of two Junior shooters may hunt under direct supervision of a licensed shooter as Nominees. Nominees must be between 12 and 17 years of age (inclusive) and be permitted to use a firearm under adult supervision. A Nominee must be the applicant’s child, or legal ward, or a child whose parent approves their inclusion as a Nominee. 

For identification of Australian waterfowl you may wish to visit the Victorian Guide to Australian Waterfowl.

Use of Non-toxic Shot